This is my favorite chili recipe of all time! I used to make this simmered on low all day in my crockpot but recently tried it in my Instant Pot pressure cooker and found it was just as delicious but ready in under an hour!
The combination of unusual flavors like beer, coffee, cocoa powder and cumin make this a memorable chili that will stand out at your next “chili cook off”!
- 1 TBS Oil (I use Grapeseed Oil, whatever your favorite oil is will do just fine)
- 1 Large onion – chopped
- 3 Cloves garlic – minced
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- 1 pound Ground Bison
- 1 can (14.5 oz) can peeled and diced tomatoes with juice (I like to use organic, no salt added, fire roasted)
- 1 can/bottle (about 12 oz) beer (I use Redbridge gluten free beer, if you have no gluten issues try a dark beer like Guinness)
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee (I often use instant espresso powder for this)
- 1 can (14 oz) Beef broth
- 1/2 cup packed Brown Sugar
- 3 TBSP Chili Powder
- 1 TBSP Ground Cumin
- 1 TBSP Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 Tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 Tsp Ground Coriander
- 1/2 Tsp Celtic Sea Salt
- 2 cans (15 oz) Black Beans (I prefer organic, no salt added) – drained and rinsed
- 2 cans (15 oz) Adzuki Beans (organic, no salt added) – drained and rinsed
Sauté the onions and garlic until softened, about 3-5 minutes. Add ground meats and cook until lightly browned. You can use the sauté feature on your pressure cooker if you are using an Instant Pot that has that feature, otherwise just do this on the stove, then transfer to your pressure cooker.
Combine all of the ingredients in your pressure cooker. Cook on the Beans/Chili setting for the default time, or 30-35 minutes manual. Allow to natural pressure release for 10-15 minutes.
If using a crockpot, cook on low for 6-8 hours.